World Cup 2006 England vs Portugal
Let's see if I can recreate the atmosphere. I can still remember the excited buzz of the crowds as we approached the Stadium - my first World Cup Football game! I really must include a BIG thank you to Andy for arranging our tickets.
When the English team came out on the field, there was a great roar that echoed around us, Arnie & I included, especially after watching Holland vs Portugal and the theatrical performances of the Portuguese players. Of course one of the favourites amoung the English is Beckham.
And where there is a Beckham ... there is a Victoria - above on the right, she is cheering him on.
Above, if you look very carefully, in the area marked with a circle is Victoria Beckham
We were sitting in a predominantly English section ... but above is a shot of the one main Portuguese corner that really stood out. Coincidentally, there is a "Holanda" sign below them ;)
And off we go - LET THE GAME BEGIN!!!
Above and below are images of our English neighbours enjoying the game. Their patriotism was contagious and, for a few hours, I felt the same pride.
Here is a sample of the pride ... appropriate clothing for a heat wave.
It really was an awesome game with many highs and lows. The majority of the stadium was filled with BRITS and it was FAAB UUU LOOOUS!!!
Although it was not a high scoring game, it was VERY intense with England giving everything they had and Beckham playing his heart out.
Above was taken during the break when the boys around us ran to the loo and then for more beer :).
The most exciting part was the finale with the penalty kicks which were absolutely heart-stopping.
This might be a girlie opinion but the penalty kicks are a crappy way to win or loss a game, especially at such an game where there is so much at stake.
I have short films of each penalty kick but cannot upload these - the cry and howl of the crowd during each kick was excruciating with passion and I find it difficult to capture the moments in words.
Above, if you look very carefully, in the area marked with a circle is Victoria Beckham

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home