
The main city of Tahiti is Papette - which is the home of there famous market. We could not resist a day at the market to shop for local treasures to bring home.

This was a huge complex made up of 2 levels & spread out in every direction with the colours of Tahiti. I bought many gorgeous pareos - 5 in total I think (3 from here - 1 from Carrefour - 1 from Bloody Mary's in Bora Bora).

Above is a sample of the local attire - Tahitian clothes that come in every colour. Arnie bought a shirt in the red & white pattern, that you see above hanging on the wall. Not sure where he will wear it but when he does, I will be walking on the other side of the road, pretending I do not know him OR his shirt :-)

There were many local crafts of all kinds, wicker hats, clothes, shells, wooden carvings, stone sculptures, fresh produce, fish and sooooo much more. In this photo, is a red grass skirt that I wanted to bring home but decided that a photo would suffice - what would a do with a grass skirt & where would I wear it?

Just a short walk away from the market was the Papette harbour where you can catch the 30 - 40 minute ferry to Moorea. However, we opted for the flight due to strikes that had Papette blocked off from access. Of course, I was especially drawn to a cruise ship that was in Port - brought back some amazing memories!!
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home